Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Great start to Christmas break

Christmas break began beautifully! The last of the girls left early Thursday morning which officially announced the start of break. Friday morning started out great, not only because I was able to wear a tank top with out getting in trouble (for the most part) but there was a brunch for all the workers here at Maxwell. It was a lot of fun being in the kitchen cutting, and butchering, fruit, making hashbrowns and eating doghnut holes. Jess, Violetta, Tyson and I served throughout the morning. I really liked it cause even though I see some of the other workers I don't get to see many of them. It was also fun to have there families there as well. And man was that food gone! They didn't leave anything behind. After serving brunch it was time for everyone to load up and head to Splash. Splash is a small water park here in Nairobi with two slides, a kiddie pool, a larger pool and some volleyball courts. Oh man, did it feel good to lay out in some sun. The great thing about Christmas time here is that it's during the summer, which meant 80 degree weather. Granted I was nice and red but by now I can say I do have a touch of a tan. (Thank goodness) Later than night Jess, Violetta and I were invited to the Butlers home for dinner. Just a small Christmas get together. I can say that right then and there was the first time I realized I wouldn't be in the states for Christmas. But then being with the Butlers and realizing where I am going to spend Christmas came to mind, which is really cool.
On Sabbath the Crutchers, Jess, Violetta, the Butlers, and I headed up to the Ngongs to watch the sun rise. So windy!! I think I could have flown up there. It was really fun though. We just goofed around and took pictures and enjoyed the wind making coke bottles sing haha.

That afternoon we had a fantastic potluck. Which by the way, have I mentioned how much I love potlucks? They are amazing! Great good and great people :D We had a lot of laughs and just a really good time. After the Crutchers, Derek, Caleb, and I went to the Giraffe Center because I have never been and they like going. So yes, I did kiss a giraffe. Haha definetly an experience. We had fun hiking on the trails and finding Pumba tunnels. Which note: do not go into a Pumba tunnel, you will get fleas. Just ask Derek and Caleb haha. The night ended with the movie Grown Ups, and a nice walk. Fact: water towers are fun/ scary :)
On Sunday we were up and running again because Joy Butler had invited us to go to the race track with her. For free! Oh man, I wish I could go to the races more often, it was so much fun!!! But it was crazy some of the jockeys were so big! And the horses were so little haha go figure.
Oh and in the last three days I have had Indian, Ehtiopian, and Chinese. Great!  But yes, later that night we ended up watching Cheetah which is an old Disney movie. It was neat cause it's based here in Kenya and I actually knew some of the places :-) On Monday Tysons parents got here which led to a fun night of Habesha's and Java house. We were out so late. But it was a lot of fun. So yes, I would say that the break is off to a good start and I hope Egypt comes together. We are being told different things about getting a visa so who knows how that will work, but it will :)

No comments:

Post a Comment