Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thanksgiving, Bomas, and more

After a friendly reminder that I do have a blog and that people do read it (you know who you are), I figured it was time that I have a new post.
To begin with Thanksgiving was very very nice. No, we didn't all sit around one huge table on Thursday, but instead I sat at a table for four with Jess on Wednesday. The food was A-mazing! Especially the sweet potatoes, oh man I thought I was in heaven. It was just the usual Thanksgiving meal (minus the turkey of course), nothing big or fancy, considering that most of the students here don't even understand what Thanksgiving is about. This has now been my third Thanksgiving away from home. I wasn't sad or lonely, wishing I could spend it with other friends or family but I was grateful to be where I was for it. I mean come on! I'm in Kenya! :) The day was very nice and amazingly with all that food in the girls bellies most of them were asleep by second study hall :D

If you would like to have some humerus entertainment you can go to this link:
vhttp://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=144486935600793&subj=1317050484. Here you will laugh and enjoy my misery of being hauled up on stage at Bomas of Kenya ( a cultural place down the road from the school where you can see dances and all different kinds of huts from different tribes. 1. Did my friends help me not go on stage? Fail. 2. Was my face as red as a tomato the entire time I was there? Yes. 3. Did they give me anything for going up (this was Tyson's biggest concern)? Besides a blown kiss from Francis, no.

I was able to have a different change of pace this morning which was nice. Violetta needed a sub for her elementary classes this morning so she could take her driving test, which gave me the privileged  of subbing her 5th & 6th grade reading class, as well as her 7th & 8th grade English.  It was nothing earth shattering or anything, but it was nice to be in a different environment with different kids. Before I went I looked through all my papers from Intro to Elementary Ed class that I took at Southern which was a nice review. And then I started thinking, "oh no, what if I do this enough and I'll want to change my major back to elem. ed?" As of right now that is not happening. But it was still fun and I'd love to do it again for more than just two classes.

This past weekend was my long weekend off. We went to Samburu park and did some more safariing. I'll post pics and more details about that later.

* To my friend who kindly reminded me to update my blog: happy now? :)

1 comment:

  1. I like the phrase:"I'd love to do it again for more than just two classes." Hmmmm... I'll think about it!

    Just kidding=) Or...maybe not? Who knows=)

    Happy you liked it=)

    Me=)
    P.S. Absolutely true: Thanksgiving meal was awesome!

    ReplyDelete