Thursday, February 10, 2011

Shield

I wish I knew what to do. I wish I had the answers. It's amazing how you can be thousands of miles apart from someone and yet they can still have such a strong effect on you and you're life. I spoke with my Mom today and found out that things aren't going well. It's like she's still trapped in this maze and I'm right their with her, trying to guide her out of it but every time I see a way out something snags her and pulls her down the wrong road. This is sounding like she is making these bad choices on her own. This isn't true. For some reason things happen to her that aren't her fault. 
This morning I read Psalm 18 and the verse that keeps coming back to me is "God is my shield." When I think of shields I think of being safe and protected. I imagine feeling brave if I were to go into battle with a shield. And yet now, I don't feel brave. I feel broken. And not broken for me, but for the ones I love. I wish I could fix things and make the pain and the fear go away. I know that God is my shield, and that has brought me comfort but I can't help but think if I was a stronger soldier that things would be different. 
God is my shield... since worship this morning I have received encouragement from two amazing girls that are here. I don't know what I would do if they weren't here to encourage me. Thank you both.
God is my shield...He is bigger than any problem and He wants what's best for us. He is a shield that can't be broken, a shield that can't be dent. So take up you're shield and know that though the battle is tough, God is tougher. 

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes a knock is hard enough that it can be felt through a shield, giving only a bruise instead of a death blow.

    Something from a blog long ago...
    "Ps. 51:17, 10 | 'The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart…create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.'
    I’ve realized that I needed God to break me so that I could see how much I needed His help; that though I plan my life out to a T, I can’t make it without God. I’ve been covering up all my weak spots with duct tape, claiming that what I can’t see can’t hurt me. God peeled off the duct tape, sanded my weak spots down, and put in some heavy duty God-glue. Every time I see the scars, I am reminded that this journey is not mine to govern. My sacrifice is “a broken spirit” and a sorry heart. His return on my offering is a new heart, one that is better and stronger than before."

    Praying for you, Ms. Cassie.

    ReplyDelete