Monday, August 16, 2010

Update from Maxwell

Well folks I have made it to Kenya safe and sound. I haven't written anything yet because today has been the first time that I could get internet set up. So alas, here is an update on my trip so far.
The flight over wasn't bad at all, not much sleeping was involved but I figured that would be good for once I got here. Jessica (my roomate and fellow Andrews partner) arrived at the airport at 9 o-clock. Unfortunetly getting threw customs can take awhile. But, that's not what took so long. British Airways some how felt that our luggage needed to spend some more time in London. to say the least Jessica got hers on Friday and I didn't get mine till Sunday. I'm really thankful for clean clothes.
I've gotten to meet a lot of the people and most of the staff here. They are all really sweet and friendly people. And of course, they are amazing cooks. I thought I was going to have a problem loosing weight....well I don't think that anymore. We've been able to go into town a couple times which is nice to see the "real" world ourside of the compound.
The other SM's and volunteers that are here are Germeen from La Sierra, Violetta from the Ukraine, Thomas from Andrews, Tomika from Alabama, and Tyson from Union. Of course come to find out my dad knowns Tysons parents. I just can't ever get away haha.
We've started staff week and I've been able to get a better understanding of what I am going to be doing as the assistant girls dean. I felt bad because that is my only job positsion, when others have about 4. But after talking with the Dean and the Principle it's for good reason.
The last couple of nights have been a lot of fun playing soccor and volleyball. Or I should say that volleyballs fun until my arms turn black and blue...then not so much.
Well I'm off to bed. Amazingly I think I've adjusted to the time change pretty well. There was only one night (Friday) when I was up pretty early, 4. Good to know that's not happening anytime soon.
Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment