Saturday, August 28, 2010

What a day

It's cool and hazy out this morning from the rain that we had all last night. It's one of those days where you want to sit by the window and curl up with some hot tea and just watch the day go by. Even though I'm not watching the day go by I am sitting here with a cup of Strawberry and vanilla tea, which is something all of it's own. The last twenty four hours has been pretty nuts. But first I should say how nice Friday night was. We had faculty families after vespers which is where a group of students come over to faculties house. Ours was fun. Violoetta had a nice game that helped up get to know each other and then we had ice cream and biscuits after. From there I went to the dorm where we had tea and biscuits. It was nice just bein able to hang out with the girls and just talk with them on a different level. I really hope that will happen more through out the year. Which I'm sure it will, it'll just take time for me to figure out my footing.
I now know what everyone was talking about when they would say that the girls dorm is nuts and that I better get ready. Part of me feels like I got a bucket of ice cold water in the face. We had to confiscate a phone for two weeks because we found out that it was an illegal phone. Meaning that it was the second of two phones, in which it was not being turned in and was being used after lights out. After figuring it out it went fine, actually not bad at all. The wake up call came Sabbath morning.
I think I'm really going to start complaining to the dress designers or something cause there is no need for dresses to be so short! Sad to say the first girl we called didn't take it too well and ended up slamming her door and crying for a bit. Lets just say she wasn't too happy with us the rest of the day. I called back a couple of other girls and they were totally fine with it, which I'm glad because that's just a tough spot when they don't. Part of me already feels like I'm the bad person. And I know that that is part of the job desciption, in a way, but it's not one that I want with the girls all year. Oh well, atleast now I know who I am going to have to put up with.
After all that I felt really drained and was wanting just a good church service. And to say the least, I really like the church service here at Maxwell. They are very conservative, with hymns and it's just nice. I like it. Very much like the Shafter church. Well in a way.
Later that afternoon they had activities, one of which was taking water to a near by village. It's been pretty dry here the last few months, and the river water isn't exactly the cleanest. And oh man...so what I needed! At first the kids didn't know what to do. And well neither did we. But after a few demonstrations of patty cake and ring around the rosy, the kids we're playin left and right. We played Simon Says, and Red Light Green Light, and it was just such a blessing. I swear if I could take all of the kids home with me I would! There so beautfil. When we got back it was time for vespers and then supper and then......ASB Maxwell Handshake!!
The Maxwell Handshake is the welcome back social that they do every year. And lets just say after about 80 or so kids plus staff, your tired. And no it's not a hand shake like a regular one. Haha I dont know if I can even explain it. You hit fists, then you hit the opposit foot to the other persons opposit. You bump hips and then you give a "church hug". It was a lot of fun. After we played fruit in a basket, musical chairs, and had a relay race. It was really nice cause when the girls came around that weren't oo thrilled with us deans, it's like they forgot all about it and we all just had a good time.
So yeah...it was fun.
As for today we are getting the monitors work schedule up, our work schedule up, and working on the "fashion show" for the dress code tonight.
Let the first full week start!!

No comments:

Post a Comment