Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Family

Tonight we had a going away for the Sandavol family. This family is amazing. Eisia runs the hostel, where they live, while her devoted husband works (I believe) though the ECD. They have two wonderful children, Francheska and Ronit. The sweetest, Jesus loving kids you will ever meet. They have been here for four years, but now now chosen to move to the Phils for work and school.
While we were in the library waiting for the family to arrive, I scanned the room looking at everyone present. Most of the adults were sitting in chairs chatting and laughing, while the kids were running around being animals. I couldn't help but feel this swelling feeling in my chest. This is my family. For the last ten months they have been there for me. To encourage, uplift, wipe my tears, give me hugs, make me pull my hair out, and roll my eyes. They are my support. They are my friends. I couldn't help but think about how in a few weeks we would be back in this position only now, the people who would be leaving would be us (the SM's).
I'm ready to go home, but I wish I could pack these people away in my suitcase and bring them back with me. Especially the Raymonds, Crutchers, and Doss's.
The other thought I had was how nice it would be to have this in my family one day. I've always wanted a big family, where everyone gets together for the holidays and birthdays. Where there is utter chaos and noise. But people who love you no matter what. I think about Eisia and Ronald and see how devoted and in love with each other they are and I pray I will have that one day. I look at their kids and see how much they love God and I hope my kids can have that close relationship too.
I'm going to miss my family here in Kenya. But the great thing is...I know that they will always be there for me. Just because I'm leaving soon doesn't mean that I am going to lose them. And that puts a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment